Applying For KiwiSaver HomeStart As A Returning NZer

We recently received a question from a First Home Buyers Club member.

This Kiwi is currently working in the UK but is looking to return to New Zealand within the next few months with the plan to purchase a home using the KiwiSaver HomeStart grant.

The question was, how would his income be assessed in terms of meeting the maximum income caps of $80k for a single person and $120k for a couple given his income had been earned in the UK?

From our research we found the following:

  • Housing NZ uses a NZ IRD Certificate of Earnings to assess income earning for the past 12 months.
  • Overseas income cannot be assessed due to exchange rates making it too difficult to confirm an income amount day-to-day.
  • Therefore a returning NZers NZ IRD Certificate of Earnings will show no earnings for the previous 12 months provided they haven’t worked in New Zealand.

In this situation, provided all other KiwiSaver HomeStart grant criteria is fulfilled, a returning NZer can apply for the grant.  Our advice however is to consider that Housing New Zealand cannot confirm a grant without seeing a completed and application and relevant supporting documents to assess .

Please note this post should be considered as advice only and does not guarantee a successful application.

Should you require assistance in applying for a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant, get in touch with us today.


Dustin Lindale March 31, 2016 Blog, KiwiSaver, KiwiSaver HomeStart, Member Questions